Sunday, September 13, 2009

Arrival at African Enterprise (AE)

After an hour flight, we arrived in Durban and were then picked up by Reg (the director of Azusa SA). After another hour drive through countryside on a freeway where everything was opposite (they drive on the wrong side of the rode! ;), we arrived at Africa Enterprise Campus.
Here we are lugging are luggage to are new home for the next 11 weeks. On Nov. 27, we will beginning traveling to Cape Town where we will stay until we return to the US.
This is only a short walk away from my room! I can hear the water running. I know, Dad, you are really jealous.


One thing that they did not emphasize enough when explaining the study abroad SA semester is how beautiful the campus is at AE. I feel like I have stepped into a little heaven on earth. I feel like I am at summer camp..unfortunately (or fortunately however you look at it) I must turn on my brain as classes officially start tomorrow.



I just love the waterfall!




Here is the path away from the waterfall.






...And the stream leading to the waterfall (hehe, I know I am my father's daughter-running water yay!)






Here is a conference center which groups can rent for retreats. They built it for the campus's fortieth birthday.






While I think monkeys are adorable, they have a horrible reputation here. I have not personally encountered them yet, but have heard terrible stories. They steer clear of men, but they have surrounded a female before and apparently tend to appear as if they will attack. They are little thieves so we have been warned to keep doors and windows closed and I think we are receiving mace tomorrow (just the girls).



Here is the dorm building I am in.




The flower colors are so vibrant. I am sure this picture does not do it justice. I wonder if that is how we will view heaven...earth is just a fuzzy picture of what glorious images await us in heaven.



More of the campus.


Looks like a great climbing tree :)




The cafeteria...so far the food is delicious!



Here is the front of my chalet (sha-ley), or housing. There are four rooms, two toilets, two showers, and 6 girls living in my unit.





This is the name of my place!



Can you believe this is the view out of my window?! In the left hand side there is a glimpse of the waterfall.



Here is our beloved RA/RD Leslie and Adah a wonderful friend who I have been on many adventures with!



Here is Jeanna (pronounced Gina), my roommate who is also a nursing major!

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous of you right now! I am also really surprised at how brown AE is! I hope you guys have a wonderful time. So... are you really doing Cape Town at the end? We had heard you were doing it in the middle of the trip! Anyway, AE is the most beautiful place I have ever seen! Enjoy every single second of it!!!

    ReplyDelete